I live in Florida. I love living in Florida. I even enjoy the hurricanes. Probably because I’m not a homeowner yet.
Kyle and I are currently living with my parents. Our lease was up at our apartment and it was insanely expensive to go month to month while we are still house hunting. So for hurricane Irma, mom and I are teaming up for hurricane prep. We’ve been to Publix quite a bit and they STILL have water and ice and just about everything else you could need for hurricane prep.
What are our plant-based staples?
- Lots of starches. Sweet potatoes, white potatoes, rice, pasta, oats, etc. All of these things can be boiled. If we do lose power, we can use the propane side of the grill to boil water to cook these things. Starches will keep you full and satisfied and they have plenty of protein.
- Fresh fruit. We loaded up on apples, oranges, bananas, grapes, and melons. All of these fruits are hydrating and refreshing so they’ll be great if it heats up. Even if we lose power, we can move the fruit that needs to stay cold into the cooler full of ice.
- Fresh veggies. Broccoli, bell peppers, green beans, mushrooms, spinach and onions all can be eaten raw or can be cooked, again on the grill if needed.
- Water. We bought 3 gallons of water per person plus some small bottled water. Make sure you’ve got enough water for each person to have a gallon per day. We’ll have enough for 4 days if we need it.
I’m also cooking up a few easy things to have on hand.
- Pasta salad – again, cool and refreshing and easy to keep cool if needed. In my pasta salad, is whole wheat fusilli pasta, black beans, red kidney beans, navy beans, cannellini beans, onion, bell peppers, peas, broccoli and a VERY small amount of olive oil with spices to keep things from sticking.
- Granola – it’s easy to make and is a tasty snack. I like making it myself so I know exactly what’s in it. I used rolled oats, maple syrup, pepitas, sliced almonds, dried cranberries, and Enjoy Life dairy-free chocolate chips
- Bread – we love bread in this house and let’s be honest, homemade beats packaged every time
So that’s it. Easy vegan storm prep. Good luck to all of my fellow vegans getting ready for Irma!!