I love a good veggie burger. Anytime Kyle and I go out to dinner, that’s the first thing I look for on a menu. Now that we live in a new town, it’s like a game trying to find the best veggie burgers. The problem is, very few of the restaurants (only 2 so far) even carry a veggie burger on the menu.
So, I’ve been making these little (actually, they’re quite large) patties quite frequently! I was initially inspired by this recipe and have adjusted it to suit my taste. They’re completely nutritious, boasting 5 checks on Dr.Gregor’s Daily Dozen checklist.
These burgers are pretty easy to make, but do require a bit of prep work with having to cook the quinoa and sweet potato.
So let’s get right into it – the most delicious black bean and sweet potato burger you’ll ever try!
Start by preparing 1/2 cup of dry quinoa according to the package directions. You can cook the quinoa in vegetable broth for added flavor. This is totally not necessary, but does add a nice depth to the flavor of the burgers. While the quinoa is cooking, wash and dice a large sweet potato. Boil the sweet potato until fork tender.
Next, drain and rinse a can of black beans and add to a bowl with the prepared quinoa.
Then, use the back of a fork to smash the black beans. I don’t like to “oversmash” because I enjoy the texture of the beans.
Add in about 3/4 cup of frozen (or fresh) corn. Keep mixin’!!!
After that sweet potato has finished cooking, smash the potato in the pot before mixing in with all of the other ingredients.
Add the sweet potato to the mixing bowl. You guessed it, keep mixing!
The final ingredients are 1/2 cup whole wheat flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, and dried cilantro. If you have fresh cilantro, add that instead of the dried cilantro – it tastes amazing!
Divide the burger mixture into 6 parts and form into patty shapes. Cook these in a nonstick pan over medium heat for 8-10 minutes on each side. I haven’t tried it, but I’m sure you could freeze them between parchment paper and thaw before cooking.
Serve these burgers on whole wheat buns with spinach, tomato, and onion or whatever other toppings you prefer.
If you try these burgers, please take a photo and tag me on Instagram @confessionsofaveganmeathead . I love to see your version of my recipes!
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burgers
The best veggie burger this side of the Mississippi!
Author: Brianna Wright
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa, prepared according to package directions
- 1 15 ounce can of black beans, rinsed, drained, and smashed with the back of a fork
- 3/4 cup frozen or fresh corn
- 1 large sweet potato, diced and boiled
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 t salt (omit if quinoa was cooked with vegetable broth)
- 1/2 t pepper
- 1 t onion powder
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 t smoked paprika
- 1 T dried cilantro or a handful of fresh cilantro finely chopped
- Cook quinoa according to package directions.
- Wash and dice sweet potato and boil until fork tender. Drain and mash well.
- Mix together cooked quinoa, smashed black beans, corn, mashed sweet potato, flour, and spices well.
- Divide the burger mixture into 6 parts and form into patty shapes.
- Cook these in a nonstick pan over medium heat for 8-10 minutes on each side.