No, really. This is the best chocolate chip cookie recipe ever.
I’ve hesitated to share this recipe. Not because it hasn’t been thoroughly tested or because they aren’t truly the best chocolate chip cookies.
I’ve hesitated because I’m sort of known in my circle of family and friends for these cookies. I make them for most holidays and family get togethers. But hey, what good is a recipe if it isn’t shared? Am I right??
These cookies are so delicious and easy. Who does’t love an easy chocolate chip cookie recipe?!!
So how do I do it? Well you already know the recipe is vegan. It is not, however, healthy. There is nothing healthy about these cookies. Except maybe the flaxseed and whole wheat flour. But those two ingredients won’t undo the unhealthiness of the other ingredients. I’m just trying to keep it real here.
I’m usually about the whole, healthy foods. Not when it comes to this recipe. This is one of those ‘just eat the damn cookie’ recipes. If you’re going to have a cookie, it may as well be super tasty.
I promise they’ll live up to the hype.
It starts with 2 flax eggs. Simply mix 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed with 6 tablespoons of water and set aside while you begin preparing the rest of the dough. It will thicken and be used in place of eggs.
In a large mixing bowl, add in the coconut oil, both sugars, and vanilla extract. With an electric hand mixer, mic those ingredients well. Once well combined, add in the flax “egg” and mix well again.
In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking soda. Mix well.
Slowly add the flour mixture into the sugar/oil mixtures and blend well. I typically add in 1/3 of the flour mixture at a time and mix.
Gently fold in your Enjoy Life chocolate chips. I usually use 10 ounces, but feel free to add more or less, depending on the amount of chocolate chips you prefer in your cookies. The best part about this cookie dough is that it’s completely edible.
Drop cookie dough by the tablespoonful onto a parchment lined baking tray. I prefer my cookies to be tall (see below). If you like yours to be more flat, simply flatten the cookie dough a bit as you drop it onto the tray.
Once your tray is filled, pop it into the refrigerator for 5 minutes. When baking, putting cold dough into the hot oven is like magic. I honestly don’t know why, but it results in a much better cookie.
Bake in a 375 degree oven for 8-12 minutes, or until just golden around the edges.
Move cookies to a wire rack to cool. It’ll be tough, but try not to eat them all at this point.
And that’s it. The best vegan chocolate chip cookies from scratch!
As always, if you give this recipe a try, please tag me on Instagram @confessionsofaveganmeathead .
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
The best vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe from scratch.
Author: Brianna Wright
- 2 1/4 c. flour (1 c. whole wheat, 1 1/4 cup all purpose)
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 t. salt
- 1 c. coconut oil (Don’t use the extra virgin kind for less coconut flavor. For more coconut flavor, use 7/8 c. extra virgin coconut oil.)
- 3/4 c. granulated sugar
- 3/4 c. packed light brown sugar
- 1 t. vanilla
- 2 T. ground flaxseed (plus 6 T. water)
- 10 oz. chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine flaxseed and water in a small bowl and set aside.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a small mixing bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat coconut oil, both sugars, and vanilla until creamy. Then, add in the flaxseed/water mixture.
- Gradually add flour mixture into the sugar and oil mixture.
- Drop by the tablespoonful on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Place the cookies on the cookie sheet in the refrigerator for 5 minutes before putting into the oven.
- Bake cookies for 9-11 minutes or until just golden on the edges.
**If you choose to use strictly whole wheat or strictly white flour, you may need to adjust the amount of oil in this recipe.