I have been obsessed with buffalo tofu lately. It’s been such a long time since I’ve had buffalo wings. I always loved the buffalo flavor, so it’s nice to have a meaty, yet vegetarian substitute for buffalo chicken wings.
This recipe is extremely simple and can be adapted to make patties (as shown below) or nuggets to mimic boneless buffalo chicken wings. This recipe is also versatile in that you can choose any kind of sauce to top it with. Easy and versatile. Does it get any better??
To make the patties, slice a block of firm, drained and pressed tofu into 1/2 inch thick slices.
Get your dredging station set up, by adding cornstarch, cashew milk, and plain panko breadcrumbs into separate bowls. Season the cornstarch and breadcrumbs with salt and pepper. Add smoked paprika to the panko breadcrumbs.
Dredge each patty first in the cornstarch and then the cashew milk, tapping off excess cornstarch and cashew milk before moving to the next bowl. Then, press the tofu into the breadcrumbs being sure to cover the entire surface of the tofu with breadcrumbs.
As you dredge each tofu patty, place onto a foil lined baking sheet. Spritz with spray oil before putting in the oven. Bake for 12 minutes, until golden brown. Then remove from the oven, flip the tofu and bake for 4-5 minutes longer.
Remove the tofu from the oven and prepare any toppings you’d like to add to your buffalo tofu sandwiches.
Slice tomatoes and onions, prepare baby spinach, and lightly toast whole wheat buns.
You can absolutely toss the tofu in sauce, but I chose to just drizzle it over the top. It’s completely up to your preference.
If you give this recipe a try, please take a photo and tag me on Instagram @confessionsofaveganmeathead .
Buffalo Tofu Sandwiches
Delicious crispy and spicy buffalo tofu sandwiches.
Author: Brianna Wright
- 1 block firm, drained and pressed tofu
- 1/3 c. cornstarch
- 1/4 c. unsweetened cashew milk
- 1 1/2 c. plain panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 t. smoked paprika
- Whole Wheat Buns
- Toppings (sliced tomatoes, onions, spinach)
- Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Sauce
- JUST vegan ranch
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add cornflour, cashew milk, and panko breadcrumbs to separate bowls.
- Season cornstarch and panko with salt and pepper. Add 1/2 t. smoked paprika to the panko.
- Slice tofu into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Dredge tofu in cornstarch. Tap off excess before placing in cashew milk bowl.
- Dredge the tofu into the cashew milk. Tap off excess before placing in panko bowl.
- Press tofu into the panko bowl to cover completely with breadcrumbs.
- Place each tofu patty on a foil lined baking tray
- Spray each patty with cooking oil
- Bake patties for 12 minutes. Remove from oven, flip, and bake for 4-5 minutes longer.
- Assemble sandwiches with your choice of toppings on whole wheat buns.