This. Recipe. Is. Bomb.
Let’s be honest, I love anything that is cheesy, but this recipe really is delicious. It’s the perfect, healthier alternative to traditional broccoli and cheese casserole.
This recipe calls for brown rice, broccoli, and one batch of my very versatile Plant Based Cheese Sauce. Lots of checks on Dr. Gregor’s Daily Dozen!
If you try this or any of my other recipes, please tag me on Instagram: @confessionsofaveganmeathead
Vegan Broccoli and Cheese Casserole
A healthy, plant based twist on classic broccoli and cheese casserole.
Author: Brianna Wright
- Cooking Spray
- 1 Batch Plant Based Cheese Sauce
- 2 Cups dry brown rice, cooked
- 1 Large yellow onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp Earth Balance Buttery Spread
- 1 Head of Broccoli, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 Cups Panko Breadcrumbs (optional)
- Prepare Plant Based Cheese Sauce.
- Cook brown rice according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Dice onions, and sauté in Earth Balance Vegan Butter until translucent. Season with salt and pepper.
- Chop broccoli into small pieces, including flower and some bits of the stem.
- Combine rice, plant based cheese sauce, sautéed onions, and broccoli well in a large mixing bowl.
- Lightly spray 9×9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Fill baking dish with mixture. Smooth the top.
- Optional: Spread 1/2 cup of panko bread crumbs onto broccoli and cheese mixture. Spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake casserole uncovered 15-20 minutes, until heated all the way through or until breadcrumbs are golden brown.