So as you may remember, I recently perfected a Plant Based Cheese Sauce. It’s freakin’ delicious and if you haven’t tried it yet, I HIGHLY recommend it. Since I created that cheese sauce, I’ve been playing around with how it can be used in various recipes (see my Vegan Broccoli and Cheese Casserole recipe).
I’ve tried making quesadillas with other plant based cheese sauce recipes and the cheese is just too runny.
Not with this recipe though! The cheese sauce is just thick enough that when you bite into the quesadilla, it feels like melty dairy-cheese.
This recipe is pretty healthy, with the exception of the Earth Balance. If you’re trying to avoid using as much oil, you could just spritz each tortilla with a bit of spray oil instead of using the Earth Balance.
If you try this recipe, please take a photo and tag me on Instagram @confessionsofaveganmeathead . I’d love to see your version of this recipe!
Minimally processed vegan quesadillas that are cheesy and delicious.
- Plant Based Cheese Sauce
- La Tortilla Factory Handmade Style Corn and Wheat Tortillas
- 1-2 T. Earth Balance Buttery Spread
- Desired Fillings such as:
- 1/2 Cup sliced onions
- 1/2 Cup sliced bell pepper
- 1/2 Cup sliced mushrooms
- Other fillings of your choice
- Prepare half a batch of Plant Based Cheese Sauce. (prepare a whole batch if you want extra cheese sauce for chili cheese fries, broccoli and cheese casserole, etc.)
- Spread a small amount of Earth Balance Buttery Spread on one side of each tortilla.
- Preheat a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Lay one tortilla butter side down in pan. Spread a spoonful of the plant based cheese sauce on the tortilla.
- Layer desired fillings (such as sliced onions, bell peppers, or mushrooms) onto plant based cheese sauce.
- Put another tortilla on top of the fillings, butter side up.
- Cook 2-4 minutes or until golden brown, then flip and repeat on the other side
Serve quesadillas with vegan sour cream, salsa, refried beans, lettuce, and/or guacamole.