I absolutely love to cook. Considering the direction this blog has been going, I think that’s pretty obvious! If I can find a recipe to make something homemade instead of buying store-bought, I will absolutely try the homemade version.
My husband likes to tease me about this, saying I have to do everything the hard way. He’s kind of right about that, but I think I’m getting better about it. If I try the homemade version of something and it’s impractical (labor or cost wise) compared to the store-bought item, I’ll go back to the store-bought version. I just HAVE to try doing it myself first.
ANYWAY! I wanted to put together a list (based around Dr. Gregor’s Daily Dozen) of items I like to keep well stocked in my kitchen. They are organized into categories with samples of what I like to keep. This is not everything I keep in my kitchen, just the basics that I couldn’t cook without. You might choose to keep those or different items in your kitchen, based on your preferences.
*As a disclaimer, like I said in my previous post, you certainly don’t have to be fully vegan to adopt some of these staple foods into your own diet.
Staple Foods to Keep in Your Kitchen
- Whole Wheat Flour
- Brown Rice
- Whole Wheat Pasta
- Whole Wheat Bread
- Whole Wheat or Corn Tortillas
- Black Beans
- Cannellini Beans
- Pinto Beans
- Kidney Beans
Try to purchase produce that is in season and locally grown in possible. That being said, the items with an asterisk are things that I try to keep year round.
- Greens (spinach, swiss chard, etc.)*
- Cruciferous Vegetables (broccoli, brussel sprouts, collards, kale, etc.)*
- Onions and Garlic*
- Potatoes (any variety)*
- Bell Peppers
- Black Grapes
- Cashew (or other plant) Milk
- Vegan Butter (to be used sparingly)
- Frozen berries
- Smoked Paprika
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Dried Oregano
- Dried Basil
- Bay Leaves
- Nutritional Yeast
- Dry Active Yeast (for bread/dough making)
- Tapioca Starch
- Canned Tomatoes (Diced, crushed, or sauce)
- Tomato Paste
- Condiments (mustard, soy sauce, hot sauces, vinegar, BBQ sauce, vegan Worcestershire sauce, etc.)
- Nuts (cashews, walnuts, peanuts, etc.)