This week when I was planning out meals, I planned to make pizzas. Pizzas are great for a busy week in our house because there’s always leftovers which can be reheated nicely in the toaster oven.
I usually make a pizza with dairy cheese for Kyle and a pizza with cashew-based mozzarella style cheese for me. That was the plan.
When pizza night rolled around, I wasn’t feeling my typical pizza. I just wanted something different. So with a surge of inspiration a la Hot For Food’s “Recipe?!” videos, I rummaged through the fridge looking for inspiration. The first things I found were leftover Plant Based Cheese Sauce from nachos and tacos and 2 links of Field Roast Mexican Chipotle Sausage. I also found all sorts of veggies that would be ideal for a Mexican Pizza.
And so my version of Mexican Pizza was born.
It’s got those classic, spicy Mexican flavors with the great texture of a classic pizza.
After the pizza was baked, I topped it with my favorite cashew sour cream and some fresh cilantro I had in the fridge. Those two garnishes brought this pizza to the next level of fancy.
This pizza is my new favorite. If I’m being honest, I can’t wait to make it again. I mean, just look at how pretty this thing turned out!!
The best part about this recipe is you can absolutely customize it to your liking and dietary needs. You could use a homemade pizza dough, a different meat substitute, change the veggies to suit your taste, etc. It’s really up to you!
If you give this recipe a try, be sure to tag me on Instagram, so I can see your version @confessionsofaveganmeathead.
Author: Brianna Wright
1 16 Ounce Store Bought Pizza Dough
1/2 Cup Salsa
1/2 batch Plant Based Cheese Sauce
2 links Field Roast Mexican Chipotle Sausage crumbled
1/2 Cup Sliced Red Onions
1/2 Cup Diced Bell Peppers
1/2 Cup Sliced White Mushrooms
Optional: Cilantro and Cashew Sour Cream for garnish and dipping
- Allow the pizza dough to rest on the counter at room temperature for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Roll out pizza dough to size and shape of pizza pan.
- Spread salsa around dough, leaving a 1/2 inch space around the edge for the crust. Add more salsa if you like a saucier pizza.
- Spread 1/2 of the Plant Based Cheese Sauce over the salsa.
- Crumble sausage links and spread evenly around pizza.
- Spread all other toppings evenly around pizza.
- Dollop remaining Plant Based Cheese Sauce around pizza.
- Bake in oven on middle rack for 22-25 minutes. Allow to cool 2-4 minutes before slicing.