As promised, another delicious Pumpkin Spice recipe.
If you couldn’t tell, I LOVE baked oatmeal. It’s one of the recipes I meal prep every weekend so I can eat it on busy workdays. Not to mention, this is the SIXTH variation of the recipe I’ve published. When a good recipe works, it just works.
In this recipe, I’ve substituted pureed pumpkin for the applesauce. This results in a bit more density than the recipes that call for applesauce. It’s still perfectly delicious though!
The first time I tested this recipe, I topped the Pumpkin Spice Baked Oatmeal with the cream cheese style “frosting” that I used in the Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal.
For the second test of this recipe, I decided to try a cream cheese frosting using Kite Hill Plain Cream Cheese. I used about 1/3 of the container and 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar. Oh my. This was next level and brought the baked oatmeal from healthy breakfast to decadent (but still somewhat healthy) dessert.
I personally don’t like a frosting that’s too sweet, so I only added 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar. If you decide to try this, you might want to use more sugar. With using more sugar you may need a small splash of cashew milk to get the right consistency.
Anyway, frosting the baked oatmeal is totally optional, but also totally delicious.
As always, if you try this or any of my recipes, please take a photo and tag me on Instagram @confessionsofaveganmeathead .
Author: Brianna Wright
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup 100% pure pumpkin
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 2 t pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1/2 T ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup plant milk
- Optional: 1/4 chopped pepitas
- Optional : 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Optional: 2-4 T agave syrup
- Optional: Cream Cheese Style Frosting
- Preheat oven to 400*.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients well.
- Transfer mixture to a lightly greased 8×8 baking dish or into lightly greased muffin tin.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes (8×8 baking dish) or 30 minutes (muffin tins).
- Allow to cool completely before cutting into 6 bars. If using, frost the baked oatmeal once completely cool.
- Serve room temperature or microwave for 15 seconds to enjoy warm.
- Store in the refrigerator.