Happy New Year!!
I know, it’s been a while. I took a much needed hiatus from writing recipes. I’ve still been cooking and getting creative in the kitchen, though and I’ve got quite a few new ideas for recipes to share with you.
This first recipe of the new year has been inspired by my slow mornings. Getting a few weeks away from work, I don’t have a rushed, early morning routine and have been able to spend more time making and enjoying my breakfast.
I have really been enjoying tofu scramble for breakfast on my slow mornings. I’ve been experimenting with different veggie/spice combinations and you can really use whatever you prefer. For this written recipe, I’ve chosen to keep it pretty simple. If you try this recipe, you could totally incorporate your favorite fillings in an omelette.
If you follow the recipe exactly, you’ll hit 5 of Dr. Gregor’s Daily Dozen Checklist: Beans (tofu), Greens, Other Veggies, Whole Grains, and Vitamin B12 (nutritional yeast). I’d say that’s a pretty nutritionally dense breakfast!
The funny thing about this recipe is that even though it’s been inspired by my slow mornings, it could very easily be a recipe to meal prep and have ready to go when I head back to work next week.
I think I’ll meal prep this scramble with some plain hash browns or roasted potatoes and some salsa on the side. As much as I love a good whole wheat wrap, it just doesn’t seem like a good idea to try to reheat the mixture and then add it to the wrap when I’m rushed in the morning.
So here it goes, my recipe for a simple tofu scramble wrap.
((I’ve been experimenting with a new tripod and lighting set up for my iPhone, so expect to see more videos with my recipes in the new year))
If you try this recipe, please share it and tag me on instagram @confessionsofaveganmeathead or on Facebook (Brianna Wright) . I’d love to see your version of this recipe!
Simple Tofu Scramble Wrap
A delicious scrambled tofu recipe that can easily be tailored to suit your taste.
1 serving extra firm tofu, drained
1/2 cup diced veggies (bell pepper, mushroom, onion, etc.)
1/2 cup kale, torn into bite sized pieces
1/2 tsp. nutritional yeast
salt and pepper to taste
1 whole wheat tortilla
- In a nonstick pan, sauté veggies over medium heat for 2-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened slightly. (I did not use any oil, but you could use a small amount if you’d like)
- Add crumbled tofu to the pan with the veggies and continue to cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the tofu is golden.
- Sauté with nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, and/or other seasoning of choice.
- Add the kale and continue to cook for another 1-2 minutes until bright green and soft.
- Add tofu and veggie mixture to a warm tortilla and roll like a burrito.