It’s been a while since I’ve blogged. Okay 2 months. But we’ve been busy! Kyle and I are all moved into our very first home! It’s coming along so nicely.
While I’ve been on hiatus, I stumbled upon a fantastic macaroni and cheese recipe on Pinterest (see the link in the recipe below). I️ loved that it included cashews AND potatoes and carrots. Cashews are a fabulous base for creamy sauces and potatoes and carrots make for the best cheesy sauces. I️ knew when I️ saw all three ingredients that I️ would enjoy this dish.
So,I️ tried it out and wow was I impressed (along with everyone who tried it; dairy-lovers included).
I’ve put my own little spin on that recipe which I think has taken vegan Macaroni and cheese to a whole new level.
Please tag me on instagram if you try this recipe! I’d love to see your version!
Beer Macaroni and Cheese
A creamy, cheesy, Macaroni and cheese recipe that also happens to be vegan.
- 1/2 cup (60 grams) raw, unsalted cashews soaked and drained
- 1 cup (150 grams) red potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup (75 grams) carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 16oz. Box of pasta (elbows or cavatappi work beautifully in this dish)
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup cashew milk
- 1 t salt
- 1 t onion powder
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1/2 t smoked paprika
- 1/2 t ground mustard powder
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 1/2 T tapioca starch
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 (6 oz.) of a lager (such as Yuengling)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 T vegan butter
- Optional: breadcrumbs and spray oil
- Soak cashews for 4 hours or more in water.*
- Peel and chop the potato and carrot. Add to boiling water for 8-10 minutes, until just tender.* Drain.
- While the carrots and potatoes are boiling, add cashews, broth, cashew milk, seasonings, nutritional yeast, tapioca starch, and lemon juice to a blender.
- Boil water to cook pasta of choice according to package directions. Drain, but do not rinse pasta.
- Add cooked potatoes and carrots to the blender. Blend all ingredients extremely well.
- Sauté onion in vegan butter for 3-4 minutes over medium heat in a large pan. Add garlic and sauté for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add cheese sauce from blender and beer to the large pan with onions and garlic and whisk constantly over low heat until sauce becomes thick and creamy. It takes a few minutes, but it will thicken.
- Pour sauce over cooked pasta and mix well.
- Optional: put Macaroni and cheese in a baking dish and coat with breadcrumbs. Spray lightly with spray oil and broil on high for 2-4 minutes, until golden brown.
en’t soaked the cashews, you can boil them for 10-15 minutes but that won’t produce as smooth and creamy of a sauce as cashews that have been soaked for 4 or more hours.
*It is critical to not overcook the potatoes. If you do, the sauce will have a more gritty texture. I’ve found adding the chopped potato and carrot to boiling water for 10 minutes to work best.
*This recipe is based on the recipe from VeganHuggs : https://veganhuggs.com/vegan-mac-n-cheese/ .